The obligation to wear a face mask in NRW
In the Federal State of North Rhine-Westphalia (NRW), wearing a face mask for medical purposes (surgical face masks or FFP2 masks) is currently mandatory:
- in enclosed spaces of commercial, cultural and leisure facilities with public and customer traffic;
- at points of sale or on markets outdoors;
- at events with more than 25 participants outdoors;
- in medical practices and similar health care facilities;
- in gastronomic establishments;
- on public places and streets from 10am to 10 pm where, due to the large amount of public traffic, it is not possible to ensure that the minimum distance of 1.5 m is maintained throughout.
- during the use of transport services of passenger transport and its facilities;
- in enclosed spaces of commercial facilities with public and customer traffic.
Note: Anyone who disregards the obligation to wear a face mask for medical purposes is prohibited to use the corresponding offers or enter facilities. Violation of the mask requirement on public transportation is a misdemeanor and will be punished. A fine of 150 euros applies.