planning an evening event: Step 1
This checklist assumes that you are planning an evening event to which a select group of participants has been invited and for which no participant fees will be charged.
The goals of an event point the way to success
- Why is the evening event being held? What is the occasion?
- Is it an anniversary?
- An evening event following a higher-level event (e.g. a conference or a trade fair)?
- An event meant to maintain customer loyalty or acquire new customers?
- An event expressing appreciation and/or thanks to employees?
- A reward to celebrate a cooperatively achieved goal (e.g. the conclusion of a project or the introduction of a product)?
- A tribute, e.g. to long-serving employees?
- An award presentation?
- Who will be attending the evening event?
- (Former) employees with/without partners, with/without children?
- Business partners with/without partners, with/without children?
- (Potential) customers with/without partners, with/without children?
- The people from a specific department?
- A group of executives?
- A project group?
- About how many people will be attending?
- What dates would be ideal?
- Please note: If the evening event follows a higher-level event (e.g. a conference, team-building session, trade fair etc.), the date of the evening event is of course determined by the date of the main event.
- Alternatively, is this an independent event with a specific purpose? In this case, you must decide on the most suitable date for this evening event.
- On which days would you have the largest possible number of participants? It’s essential to take vacation periods and holidays into account!
- What would be the best starting time, and how long should the evening event last?
- The best starting time and the event’s optimal length will depend on its content and structure as well as the external circumstances (e.g. the time when the previous event ends).
- Open-ended or with a fixed ending time?
- Where should the evening event be held?
- Where will the main event (e.g. the trade fair) take place?
- When selecting the venue, must you consider where the guests will be coming from?
- Should the event be held at the headquarters of the host company or institution?
- What location should you choose?
- Type of location (hotel, event location, the company’s own premises, a tent etc.)?
- Requirements for the location (premium or basic, number of stars etc.)?
- Does the type of location (urban, seaside, historical, futuristic etc.) match the theme/motto of the evening?
- Available facilities — are they suitable for the number of participants and the event’s structure, timetable and requirements (e.g. is it a casual get-together or a gala)?
- Are additional spaces needed for supporting programmes (e.g. children’s programmes or exhibitions)?
- In certain cases, will additional tents be needed?
- Must overnight accommodation be available?
- If the meeting is held at an event location, you may need to reserve hotel accommodation nearby.
- Will upgrades for VIPs be needed?
- Will transfers or shuttles be needed for groups or individual participants?
- From the airport or train station and back?
- From the hotel/back to the hotel?
- What will be the tone of the evening event?
- Will there be an integrated official ceremony?
- Is it a party?
- A festive gala?
- A get-together with networking opportunities?
- Casual or formal?
- Which structure would be ideal?
- The event should have a well-structured and discernible flow, and the guests should always be informed about the timeframe in advance (unless there is a surprise programme).
- What would be the ideal programme for achieving the aims of the evening event and conjuring up emotions and lasting memories for the target group?
- A programme in line with a certain motto?
- A formal reward programme or an award presentation on the stage?
- A show programme?
- A central stage programme or a decentralized programme among the guests?
- Activities in various rooms (party area, lounge, special activities etc.)?
- Music: dinner, party, DJ, band, a certain theme (Irish, Brazilian, classical etc.)?
- A children’s programme?
- What kind of catering should be chosen?
- Premium quality?
- What kind of drinks?
- How should the participant management and the overall communication, from the invitations to the feedback questionnaire, be organized?
- Does a motto/key visual/central theme already exist, or must it still be developed?
- Should a corporate design be taken into account?
- Which aspects should be analogue, which should be digital?
- Would an event website and/or an event app with information about the event be desirable?
- What is the available budget?
- Will the event be planned and organized in-house or with
support from an agency?
- Would partner companies like to participate in the evening
event? (E.g. as a sponsor)?
Download this checklist here:
Checklist 1b. Event objectives - planning an evening event
Go to step 2: Checklist 2b. Concept & calculation - planning an evening event
Responsible for the content:
welcome Veranstaltungs GmbH